Thursday, July 06, 2006

I have measured out my life with Wally & the Beav

Surfing the web site of TV Land, the cable channel that spotlights classic reruns, (it took over this function a few years ago from its "parent" channel, Nick at Nite) I came across a commemorative blurb about one of the channel's omnipresent offerings, Leave It To Beaver.

Dave Barry once remarked that it was a sign of how truly innocent America once was that television producers in 1957 would think of creating a show whose main character bore the name "Beaver." Yuk-yuk-yuk.

I've been watching Leave It To Beaver almost all my life, something I'm sure the show's original creators never imagined. Yes, syndicated reruns have been with us since Lucy and Desi first created them, but the idea that a show would go on in syndicated reruns forever is a notion that, I'm sure, occurred to few in the 1950s. I'd be very much surprised, in fact, to learn that even Marshall MacLuhan, the guru of media in the 1960s, ever thought of such a thing.

Leave It To Beaver is, in fact, just one of a list of TV shows that I've been watching since I was a kid, and occasionally still watch if there's nothing else on or if I'm waiting for a ball game to start.

My late sister and I were what you might call rerun aficionados ("junkies" if you're less charitable.) We were so in-tune with the reruns we both loved that we used to stand around and whip lines on each other, each challenging the other to recognize the line and, if possible, come back with the appropriate response. The Andy Griffith Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show and I Love Lucy formed the core of our repertoire. (Lynn was such an I Love Lucy fan that she could spot production flaws in some of the shows that she had seen more than 500 times, and would point them out to you.)

There are, let me hasten to add, some reruns I won't watch. As in, "They stunk then and they stink now." I never cared for The Brady Bunch, wouldn't even watch it when I was in junior high school and it first came on the air. Three's Company is another bit of '70s fluff with which I would not bother, then or now. In this same vein, a few years ago one of the cable channels was offering up a real moldy oldie from the early '60s, The Real McCoys. Now, I did watch The Real McCoys when I was say, in the fourth grade and it ran on weekday mornings between Lucy and Pete and Gladys, the December Bride spin-off that put Harry Morgan, who would later play Colonel Potter on M*A*S*H, on the sitcom map. (My mother once remarked that "that damned Real McCoys nearly drove me nuts" on days when, due to illness or holidays, my sisters and I were home from school and planted in front of the tube on a weekday morning.) But when The Real McCoys turned up on cable circa 1999, the 44 year-old version of myself quickly shut it off. Great comedy stays fresh; "sappy" doesn't.

So what is it about Leave It To Beaver? Great comedy it isn't, not like Lucy or Dick Van Dyke. I don't know, but I've tended to come back to it -- sometimes just affectionately surfing by -- over and over through the years. A sheepish confession: a few days after the Sept. 11 attacks in 2001, when President Bush made his famous prime-time speech announcing the war on terror, a colleague at the office asked me the next day, "Did you hear Bush's speech last night?" "I missed it," I replied. "In fact I forgot it was going to be on. I was watching Leave It To Beaver." Hey, it was nine p.m., I was sitting in my favorite chair, and TV Land happened to be my favorite channel. Ipsi Dixit.

Maybe it's just something like comfort food. You know what's going to happen next, there are no surprises, and nobody's facing any consequences for their actions more serious than a stern talking-to from Dad. It isn't great comedy, but because the show's writers based many of the scripts on the stupid things their own kids actually did, it still has a ring of authenticity. Kids don't talk like Wally and the Beav any more, but they still commit similarly goofy acts. The episode in which Beaver loses the money he was given for a haircut, and rather than confess the loss to his parents, lets Wally give him a truly horrible coif, could as easily have been made in 2006 as in 1958. Some things never change, and the tendency of kids to prefer deception over honesty from a fear of parental punishment is one of them.

But one thing has changed, over the years, in my relationship with Leave It To Beaver. As I'm sure is the case with many of my contemporaries, my attitude toward the show has changed in perfect pace with my own growth from childhood to early adulthood to middle age.

Beaver had already left prime-time when I became a regular watcher. I was two years old when it premiered. It ran until 1963, but my mother was such a stickler for having her kids go to bed early that I was seldom up when the show came on in prime time. I recall getting up one night for a drink of water or some such thing and seeing my parents, on the living room sofa, actually watching the prime-time incarnation of Leave It To Beaver. I became a regular watcher myself a year or two later, when the show had left prime time and gone immediately into syndication. One of the local stations in San Diego began running it in the afternoons between 4:00 and 5:00. I would come home and watch it after school. Its appeal to me at that age was obvious: kids love to watch shows whose main characters are kids.

By the time I got to high school, Leave It To Beaver had gone the way that Captain Kangaroo went when I started the fifth grade -- I was now, officially, too hip and sophisticated for such things. High school kids think they know everything, and they love to think of themselves as pillars of sophistication, way ahead of, say, their parents for instance. I, and my sister by the way, took on a derisive attitude toward the show, and no longer watched it unless it was to sit and mock the corny way its characters talked. "Gee, Beaver," we'd say to each other, our voices dripping with sarcasm. In fact we started referring to the show itself as Gee, Beaver. My best friend Jim and I would get together and literally wince at the dialogue, especially in the later shows when the "Beaver" character was getting to be of high school age himself. The teenager of the early 1960s, to the teenager of the early 1970s, was a laughable dinosaur. We were the only authentic teenagers. Whoever didn't speak our patois was just painfully "out of it," as we used to say in those days, and that included the characters on Beaver. The show became a joke.

The next phase of the show's place in my generation's progress from mumps to Alzheimer's might be called The Nick at Nite years. Not for nothing was Nick the success it was, from the mid-1980s on. From about the time the first wave of Boomers hit their early thirties, nostalgia became a highly marketable commodity. A preliminary flicker of this trend hit around 1982, when "Classic Rock" radio stations coast-to-coast began playing 1960s music, and then the movie The Big Chill came along, a nostalgia trip for the "war babies" generation that preceded ours. Dredging up the TV shows that we had all grown up with couldn't be far behind, and when I returned to the U.S. in 1988 after two years in Europe, I was delighted to find the Nickelodeon channel offering, after 8 p.m., a cornucopia of nostalgic treats for those who were kindergarten-aged during the Kennedy years: Make Room For Daddy, My Three Sons, Mr. Ed and The Donna Reed Show, one right after the other, irresistible as pistachios.

From having been the butt of jokes 20 years earlier, Leave It To Beaver was now a "classic." It had become one of those shows that you, with your nascent middle-aged spread, could tune in after a couple of Scotch-and-sodas and get all misty for home, sweet yesterday, that pre-work-force arcadia when your most daunting responsibility was getting your math homework done, and your biggest anxiety whether your younger brother was going to get more Christmas presents than you did.

And now? Now that the 1960s are too far behind us to even occasion nostalgia, Beaver has become a cultural artifact, a distant mirror into which we can gaze with a telescope and make sage observations about the nature of that age gone by. (Dave Barry's crack about beavers, for example.) The show has traced an arc in nearly 50 years, running from popular entertainment to the butt of cornball jokes to a self-indulgent exercise in nostalgia to something almost approximating a museum piece. Ward Cleaver in his age, like Cliff Huxtable in his and, to a lesser extent, Tim Taylor in his, is held up as a model of what his era regarded as a nearly-ideal dad. Even June Cleaver, who was once the object of feminist derision for her habit of doing housework in high heels and a necklace, (Barbara Billingsley, who played the role of June, explained a few years ago that she wore the heels chiefly because Jerry Mathers and Tony Dow, who played her sons, were both taller than she was and it didn't seem appropriate somehow for the boys to be taller than their mother) is no longer ridiculed as she once was. We're sufficiently remote from the Eisenhower-Kennedy years now that ridicule would seem gratuitous at best, quaint at worst. The June Cleaver jokes have all been worn out.

Despite its age, the show has that one element of timelessness going for it, to wit, the fact that children are occasionally quite impossible (like Monday through Sunday, for instance.) Since the basic predicaments of childhood haven't changed much in 5,000 years and probably never will, I can see Leave It To Beaver still being in reruns when our children's children are wondering what the heck their children did with that money they were given this morning for a haircut. Or why they have a baby alligator stashed in the tank of the hall toilet. Or how they could be put on a bus together and end up in different cities. Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose. Viva the Beav.

1 comment:

Lana Stompanato said...

Whenever I find the 21st century to be too stressful, I watch "Leave It To Beaver." I don't know, I thought it was a great comedy, and still do.